A little about me:
I'm Amy Baribeau Cocanour. Originally from Wisconsin, I attended the Coast Guard Academy and graduated in 1992. I retired as a Captain in 2017. I grew up sailing on Green Bay and Door County. My mom bought me poster paints as entertainment when we pulled into different ports. I found and painted smooth stones that were abundant on the shores of Door County, and sold enough at the end of our vacation to buy a souvenir for my charm bracelet (which I still have!). I put my right brain on hold for almost 30 years and discovered colored pencil in 2018. I started drawing the animals at the WNC Nature Center, where I volunteer, and the gift shop currently sells notecards created from my images. I also started getting requests for pet portraits, which has become a nearly full time hobby, but also a journey, while trying new pencils, papers, and mediums. (I say nearly because I also bike a lot, do triathlons, row, travel, play guitar, sing, and give my 3 cats their best life). Please browse my gallery and contact me if you are interested in something special.
My drawings and more descriptions of each piece can be found on my facebook page "Amy's Artwork." Follow my page for the latest drawings and news!
2010 - present
Click on the "shop button" to check out my Zazzle store where I have notecards, prints and other fun products. I can create almost anything using one of my images! Contact me if you want something just for you.
* "Pinky" selected for inclusion in Colored Pencil Magazine's gallery May 2023.
* "Dreaming of the Blue Ridge" Winner of the 2022 Department of Veteran Affairs Creative Arts Competition in the Fine Arts pastel category. Featured in Colored Pencil Magazine's gallery March 2022.
* "Cougar in Black" 3rd place in the 2021 Department of Veteran Affairs Creative Arts Competition in the Fine Arts colored drawing category.
* "Dewey" selected for inclusion in Ann Kullberg's "Hidden Treasures Volume 6," 2020.
* "Keeper" selected for inclusion in Ann Kullberg's "Hidden Treasures Volume 7," 2022
* "Toby the Red Fox" third place in the drawing category at Arrowhead Art Gallery 2019.
* "Ms. Violet in Black" first place in the drawing category at Arrowhead Art Gallery's exhibit "Anything Goes" 2021
* "Asheville Black Bear" second place at the 310 Art Gallery 2020 Student Art Show. Featured in the "Laurel of Asheville" Magazine in February 2020.
* "Diesel in his Blanky" Honorable Mention in Colored Pencil Magazine's 2021 Pet Portrait Challenge.
* "Rock Island, Door County, WI" featured in Colored Pencil Magazine April 2022 "The Story Behind the Art"
* "Porter enjoying the Ride" featured in Colored Pencil Magazine artist gallery January 2021